Monday, February 17, 2014

IF I MUST WEAKEN MY CONVICTIONS TO REMAIN YOUR FRIEND. GOOD BYE.


 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than m...e is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."----Jesus Christ, Matthew 10:34-39

For sometime I have been wanting to post for all my FB family and friends on this subject. Often a friend or family member will post something that is contrary to sound Biblical teaching. It then forces me to make a choice. Go along to get along or stand for my convictions. Some believe their relationships are made better by compromising their convictions. Jesus did not live this or teach this and this Christian does not believe it for that reason.

First conviction must be defined. Many think a conviction and an opinion are the same thing. They are not. An opinion is What I think. A conviction is "what I believe God thinks". What God thinks is more important than our opinions. How do we know what God thinks? The answer is that it is shown to us by sound Biblical study under the leadership of the Holy Spirit and prayer. Everyone should determine their convictions. One is better off to have a wrong conviction than have none at all. If I am wrong I can repent and change but a man with no convictions is nothing, stands for nothing and is good for nothing. My conviction could be wrong but you will not change my mind without showing me by "soundly interpreted scripture where I am wrong". Your opinion will not sway me. Show me your convictions based on sound Biblical interpretation. I am all ears to hear.

Here is the problem. Some people take it personal when your convictions disagree with their opinions or their convictions. Whenever there is a post on my FB page or discipleship groups I am a member of, do not expect me to always agree just to remain your friend. I will not break friendship over such disagreements. Even my dearest and closest's relatives and friends I want you to know this. I will do my best to state my convictions whether you agree with them or not. I don't mind that you have a contrary conviction. In fact I want to hear it. However, if you make me choose between our friendship and my convictions... Good Bye. You see my convictions define the boundaries of my personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Do not force me to choose you over HIM. In fact it is these very convictions that define who I am. I am a child of Jesus Christ, born again of HIM. . It is my Identity. You cannot change that. When I state something that does not agree with your statement please know that I am not being egotistical or know it all. I love truth and am commanded by Jesus Christ to always stand and teach truth the best I can. Jesus Christ is not just someone I meet with on Sunday. He is my life moment by moment. So don't think I don't love you or that I am being hard to get along with. I simply want all to know the joy of a personal relationship as defined in the Bible that I have been given. If I remain silent, you may never know the convictions I have been blessed with and who I really am.

"There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. And he [Jesus] answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother."---Mark 3:31-35

--Pastor Rodney Houston


No comments:

Post a Comment